Monday, May 27, 2013

5/27/13

Warm up with joint mobility, dynamic movement, and foam roller.  Today we are going to honor the sacrifice of the men and women who represent our country in the Olympic Games in wrestling.  I think that Jay Mohr says it best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_zZSdc6eI0

Although I came to wrestling late in life, it has changed my life in a tremendous way.  I believe that my ice hockey background and desire to train hard to be the best athlete I could be has carried over into the sport of wrestling.  The desire and intensity is something you have inside you.  Grab it.. Use it.. Harness it.. Be Extraordinary..

The first time I stepped onto a mat I was 31.  My son was 5 or 6 and one of the rec kids didn't have a match, so I volunteered to wrestle a 220 pound 14 year old.  How is that fair?.. A grown man against a kid. #1 I knew next to nothing about wrestling technique, and #2 I was giving up 50 pounds. It was humbling.  After that experience, I was hooked.  I began to try and learn as much about how to train as possible.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to help much with the technique, but I KNEW that I could help these kids get into the best physical shape possible.  This has been the difference for many kids and adults that I train.  Tell yourself you can, and you will.

Today's workout comes from :

Jake Herbert
  • Olympic Qualifier – 2012 London Olympics
  • World Silver Medalist
  • Pan American Champion
  • USA Freestyle Wrestler of the Year
  • Dave Shultz Memorial Champion
  • New York AC International Champion
  • Hargobind International Champion
  • Hodge Trophy Winner
  • 2X NCAA Champion
  • 4X NCAA All-American
  • 3X Big Ten Champion
  • 149-4 Career Record (5th Best % NCAA History)
Get a 2 tires.. Go to a field.. Put the tires on 50 yard line.. Flip the tire #1.. Sprint to tire #2.. Flip it.. Sprint back to tire #1.. flip it.. repeat until each tire is in the opposite end zones and you are sprinting 100 yards..

If you only have 1 tire or don't have a tire.. Improvise.. push yourself today.. Remember the sacrifice of someone in your life.. Get it done!!

 Cool down, have a nice day.. El Rey always... Prayers for John and VCI...

No comments:

Post a Comment